OT: For the dog lovers among us.
John Grubb
2006-01-30 22:59:51 UTC
Hi ASP
Many have dogs and some wish they could have dogs. This is for anyone
who knows the joys a dog can bring

John

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead
of his tongue.
-Anonymous

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are
wonderful.
-Ann Landers

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where
they went.
-Will Rogers

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
-Ben Williams

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves
himself.
-Josh Billings

The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
-Andy Rooney

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can
spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has
ever made.
-M. Acklam

Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people,
who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.
-Sigmund Freud

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious
cult.
-Rita Rudner

A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three
times before lying down.
-Robert Benchley

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog.
-Franklin P. Jones

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I
have known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons
-James Thurber

If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise.
-Unknown

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can.
That's almost $21.00 in dog money.
-Joe Weinstein

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come
back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork,
half a
cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!
-Anne Tyler

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax
and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not
bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
-Mark Twain

You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a
look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'
- Dave Barry

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your
pocket and then give him only two of them.
-Phil Pastoret

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
Kim Kocher

Cymro
2006-01-30 23:47:39 UTC
A few more -

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown

"Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies." - Gene Hill

"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown

"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't
decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives." - Rita Rudner

"Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in
case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing right in your
ear." - Dave Barry

"I took my dog for a walk... all the way from New York to Florida... I said to
him "There now you're done." - Steven Wright

"I named my dog 'Stay'... so I can say 'Come here, Stay. Come here, Stay.'" -
Steven Wright

"I spilled spot remover on my dog. He's gone now." - Steven Wright

"He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear
above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. He has
told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being; by the way he
rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by
the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him. (I think it makes
him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.) When I am wrong, he
is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I
am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I
succeed, he brags. Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am
all-powerful. He is loyalty itself. He has taught me the meaning of devotion.
With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me
understanding where before I was ignorant. His head on my knee can heal my
human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark
and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever -
in case I need him. And I expect I will - as I always have. He is just my
dog." - Gene Hill
Bob Landry
2006-01-31 01:45:44 UTC
Post by Cymro
[...]
OK, you got me. Need to get a tissue.

Bob
Frenchy
2006-02-04 07:53:22 UTC
Post by Bob Landry
Post by Cymro
[...]
Great stuff Kim!!!
--
Frenchy
www.frenchyspipes.com
Fred
2006-01-30 23:31:37 UTC
John, thanks for the reflections.... May you be a
lucky dawg.....

Fred
Bob Landry

David
2006-01-31 02:52:38 UTC
Post by John Grubb
[...]
In honor of the soon to upon us the Chinese Year of the Dog. Of course
my two Gordon Setters - Webster 11 and Megan 8 were at my feet as I did
the research. Enough said.

Begin ---

She had no particular breed in mind, no unusual requirements. Except
the special sense of mutual recognition that tells dog and human they
have both come to the right place.
--Lloyd Alexander, American writer.

The poor dog, in life the firmest friend, "The first to welcome,
foremost to defend."
--Lord Byron, an epitaph for his dog Boatswain.

A good dog never dies he always stays he walks besides you on crisp
autumn days when frost is on the fields and winter's drawing near, his
head is within our hand in his old way.
--Mary Carolyn Davies

A dog is like an eternal Peter Pan, a child who never grows old and who
therefore is always available to love and be loved.
--Aaron Katcher, American Educator and Psychiatrist

Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend.
--Corey Ford, American writer

Here, Gentlemen, a dog teaches us a lesson in humanity.
--Napoleon Bonaparte

Being patted is what it is all about.
--Roger Caras.

Why is it that my heart is so touched whenever I meet a dog lost in our
noisy streets? Why do I feel such anguished pity when I see one of
these creatures coming and going, sniffing everyone, frightened,
despairing of even finding its master?
--Emil Zola

His name is not wild dog anymore, but the first friend, because he will
be our friend for always and always and always.
--Rudyard Kipling

The more I see of men the more I like dogs.
--Madame de Stael 1766-1817 French social leader.

Heaven goes by favor; if it went by merit, you would stay out and your
dog would go in.
--Mark Twain.
John Grubb

Bradley
2006-01-31 16:49:09 UTC
[...]

If you want to be liked, get a dog. The people you work with are not
your friends.
- Deborah Norville

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too
dark to read.
- Groucho Marx (1890 - 1977)

The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself
with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool
of himself, too.
- Samuel Butler

Speak softly and own a big, mean Doberman.
- Dave Miliman

When the store manager returned from lunch, he noticed his clerk's hand
was bandaged, but before he could ask about the bandage, the clerk said
he had some very good news for him. "Guess what, sir?" the clerk said.
"I finally sold that terrible, ugly suit we've had so long!" "Do you
mean that repulsive pink-and-blue double-breasted thing?" the manager
asked. "That's the one!" "That's great!" the manager cried, "I thought
we'd never get rid of that monstrosity! That had to be the ugliest suit
we've ever had! But tell me. Why is your hand bandaged?" "Oh," the
clerk replied, "after I sold the guy that suit, his guide dog bit me."

The Difference between Cats and Dogs. A dog thinks: "Hey, these people
I live with feed me, love me, provide me with a nice warm, dry house,
pet me, and take good care of me... They must be Gods!" A cat thinks:
"Hey, these people I live with feed me, love me, provide me with a nice
warm, dry house, pet me, and take good care of me... I must be a God!"

I know that dogs are pack animals, but it's difficult to imagine a pack
of standard poodles . . . and if there was such a thing as a pack of
standard poodles, where would they rove to? Bloomingdales?"
- Yvonne Clifford

INSCRIPTION ON THE MONUMENT OF A NEWFOUNDLAND DOG
Near this spot are deposited the remains of one who
possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
and all the Virtues of Man,
without his Vices.
This Praise, which would be unmeaning
Flattery if inscribed over human
ashes is but a just tribute to the Memory
of Boatswain, a Dog.
- Lord Byron

Bradley